SC Dogsled Team Training Journal

dogsledding, dryland, carting, dog training, dog behavior

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Day 8

Cosmos - Kenai
Sunka - Little Bear
Yeti - Sakari
Ulric - Dancer

60 F (2 miles)

Well, it started out with me riding the brake all the way up the drive way after pulling the quick release and trying to roll it up and stow it. By the time we got to the top of the driveway I had to stop the team so I could stop Sakari from jumping and biting Yeti. As soon as we stopped she stopped. We started going again and only got out the driveway and on the road and she started again. As soon as we were straight in the road I stopped the team again and went up and niped her in the side of the cheek she stopped the biting on Yeti and we were off. 30 feet later Sunka desided to put on brakes with all fours and was being dragged on her feet by the rest of the team. I immediatly stopped the team and decided to carry her on the cart. I had her unhooked from the lines and had Ltl. Bear snapped into two sets of lines when the team took off down the hill at top speed. I had Sunka in my left hand and I grabbed for the cart with my right hand. I about missed the cart but I made it on the back but in the process I dropped Sunka. I yelled whoa at the team and stomped the brake but they did not even slow down. I turned and saw Sunka run back in the yard heading for the kennels. I figured she would be fine so we went on running. We did not even slow till half way around the block and then only for a short time even though we were running up hill the whole time. I ended up with a nice rope burn on my right leg. As we passed a house where two dogs always run out to greet us several of the team dogs went over to "see" them. I yelled to my leaders to keep the line tight and go "on by". The leaders kept moving and pulled the team on by. But as Ulric was still looking back and running with the team he hit his head on a mail box. He was fine since the mail box was plastic and he only shook it. But in the process it knocked the address plack off the post. (I went back later and told the guy what happened and he thought it was funny and said not to worry about it that he would fix it). Ulric was fine and responded to me everytime I called him and we kept running. From here Cosmos and Kenai were running slow and Ltl. Bear and the team were trying to pass them. I had to ride the brake to keep the team from passing the leaders. This slowed the team down but kept the leaders in the lead. I want to try Little Bear in lead. I think she will do very well. She never lets her tug line go limp and is always wanting to be outfront. Sakari is still rearing and snapping when we get back to the kennels and still wanting to run more. I think I may try her in co lead with Ltl. Bear and see about using them to run a team of girls in the kennel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home