SC Dogsled Team Training Journal

dogsledding, dryland, carting, dog training, dog behavior

Friday, September 29, 2006

Summer Fun


What do we do with Siberian Huskies in the summer here in South Carolina? Well, we buy them a pontoon boat that belongs to them and we take them to the nearby Lake Murray and take them swimming. Not only does the swimming keep the dogs cool but it keeps them in shape. It also keeps me in shape. It has been so fun to take the dogs swimming. They get on the boat and relax and when I cut back on the engine and walk up to drop the anchor they start shaking. After I have dropped anchor and cut the engine I had a couple to "slip" (back out of their collars and jump in the water on their own. You would think that a dog would swim to shore. I had a few that would swim towards the center of the lake. A life jacket and a pair of diving fins came in real handy for chasing dogs. Swimming at the lake was also nice in that it cleaned the dogs. Because where I live there is red clay the dogs always have a reddish tint to them. After swimming some of the dogs again showed that they had white hair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home