SC Dogsled Team Training Journal

dogsledding, dryland, carting, dog training, dog behavior

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Day 10

Cosmos - Kenai
Ltl. Bear -
Yeti - Sakari
Ulric - Dancer

48 F (4 miles)

Today the dogs ran like a true team and everyone pulled and ran fast. Not a single tug was loose. We ran hard to the end of the two mile trail where we came gee (made a U-turn to the right) and headed back. It was up hill the whole way there so the run back was downhill and gave them a little break but they still ran hard. We had on tangle up when we passed the gee turn that we normally take and I gave the command to go straight on by. Cosmos went by then I stopped the team to take care of Ulric who was running straddle of the gang line. While I was stopped Cosmos turned the team and thought he was supposed to have made the right turn so he took the team back that way. I had to take him and lead him back on the trail that ran straight. We had half the team on each side of a tree and they began to get tangled and they all thought it was funny and lay down for a belly rub. We finally started running again and it was uneventful from there. As we ran down the road to get back in our driveway we had a car following us. I motioned for them to stay back while we made a left turn into the driveway. The swing dogs (dog in the middle) cut me short and ran me into a ditch with the cart. Of course it did not stop us but I did have a nice bounce and a fun time holding on through the big bump and then fast down the driveway and across 4 speed bumps in the drive way. We got to the kennel door still running at top speed. All the dogs went into the kennels and jumped into the water barrels and walked around and drank. They love to "swim" after every run. Plus, for me I find it easy to check their feet after the water has clean them and before the dog walks in the dirt again. I always check each dogs feet and ankles after a run. But I also watch during a run to see if anyone is having a problem. I carry a first aid kit with me in case I need to take care of a dog while running. I also carry dog booties if a dog were to need one for a sore foot. But of course they can ride on the cart and don't have to run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home