SC Dogsled Team Training Journal

dogsledding, dryland, carting, dog training, dog behavior

Monday, November 06, 2006

Full Moon Delivery







Well last night was the full moon. And as I expected Sakari (a female rescue) had puppies. The arrival of the pups was welcomed with a welcoming howl by ALL the dogs in the middle of the night. It woke me up and I thought it was very strange that they would be singing a welcoming song in the middle of the night. Over the last few days I have heard many moon songs all night long to the moon as it got fuller but then in the middle came this welcoming song. Upon checking on the doggies this morning I found that unlike humans doggies don't lie. As near as I can tell there are 5 puppies. Momma won't let me move her to count them. I was growled at and I know to leave her alone. I will move them in the house tonight. Living with so many dogs that talk and howl I have learned to understand their talking, and howling it is incredible. I can never say that Huskies are a dumb dog. They have a very clear form of communication and it can be understood by anyone willing to listen. Native Americans believe that the wolf is a teacher and one has but to listen in order to learn. I have a yard full of teachers. (Huskies are thought to be close to the wolf genes). They play jokes and pranks but they don't lie in what they say. They always speak straight truth. What a privilege I have of living with such wise, intelligent, truthful communicative animals. Friends have been over visiting when the dogs would start "talking" and I would ask them to listen for a minute. The dogs would tell me that one of the dogs was loose. As I listened more the dogs would tell me exactly who was loose. My friends would tell me "yeah, right. I want to see this". When my friend and Iwent out of the house sure enough that exact dog came running by us in the yard. Dogs don't lie. Wonder why I like living with dogs more than people? Yesterday, I went into the big kennel to trim the hair on the dog’s pads and beforeI could get started one of the dogs had taken the scissors and walked off with them. They play this game of hide and seek and find it very amusing. Fayth finally found the scissors and we trimmed the hair. I sort of expected yesterday that Sakari was close to delivery. So I threw down several flakes of hay for her. She already had a hole dug for a "den"and she immediately took the hay and ripped it apart and lined her den. So this morning all I did was cover them with a blanket.

Now that it is evening I have been able to distract Sakari with some treats and get a leash on her and walked her outside of the kennel and shut the door while I went back in with a box and collected puppies. There are indeed 5 puppies. I brought mother and pups in the house and have placed them in the welping box. They are doing well and she is finally letting me near them. Here are some photos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home