SC Dogsled Team Training Journal

dogsledding, dryland, carting, dog training, dog behavior

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Sat Nov 4 Longer and more runs

This morning I ran Cosmos-Kenai, Bear-Yeti, Sasha-Sloppy Joe, Ulric-Dancer. I ran them 7.5 miles this morning and would get just about to my driveway each time then turn them around and run them back the other direction. Cosmos became confused and would not move. I had to go up and walk him till he realized what I wanted him to do. They looked good for the whole run. I came home fed them and checked them out. After working in the kennels and in the van to ready it for our adventure next weekend I took the dogs out running again. Tonight they ran 5 miles. It was funny to watch them as I hooked them up tonight. They all sat quiet and motionless as I hooked each of them up. When I got down to hooking up the last wheel dog they made just a little noise. Then when I pulled the release they bolted up the drive way at top speed. I rode the brake all the way up and out the driveway. They acted like they had eaten their Wheaties and had lots of energy. They worked together as a team and pulled well. Bear, Sasha, Ulric all wanted to run off and chase other dogs at a place where we pass other dogs. I finally had to stop the team and bite Sasha to get her back to where we could run. When we made the U-turn and came back by the dogs and Sasha again move slightly towards them I called her name and she looked back forward. We had a good run. The moon is just about full and made for a beautiful night. Oh, near the start of the run going into the first saddle of hills Cosmos stopped to take a dump and the rest of the team ran right up on him. I never saw his poop. When we got home I noticed his left rear foot was bleeding slightly. I took care of it and he was not limping. I will put a bootie on him tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home